1330 6th Avenue
New York, New York (United States)
Daily Political Hill Reporter (On-Air)
Washington, District of Columbia
Online | New Media
(n) grī/ō, ‘grīō: Journalist. Historian. Praise Singer. Poet. Musician. Curator. Storyteller.
TheGrio, is a digital, video-centric news community devoted to giving voice to trusted figures on the front line who inspire us every day, and to fresh perspectives who buck convention because there’s more than one way to be Black. We believe a well-informed community best determines its own interests. And so, TheGrio’s editorial mandate is to focus on news and events which have a pronounced impact on a Black global audience. We unabashedly explore culture and entertainment, health and lifestyle, politics and policy, business and empowerment, science and climate, tech and innovation, and everything in between that matters to us. From Kampala to Atlanta TheGrio is Black culture amplified.
TheGrio is strongly building its editorial staff. It is an investment in the business's core competencies. These jobs will primarily be based in NY and Atlanta. Some of the positions will be opportunities to work from other cities or fully remote. Byron Allen, CEO of Allen Media Group, says, “TheGrio is the leader of fearless journalism and inspirational storytelling about Black people. No other Black news outlet has our cumulative audience reach or impact. This is a natural growth of our brand sponsorships, and editorial partnerships for TheGrio's content on digital, mobile, streaming, podcasts, and social media.”
TheGrio is looking for a Daily Political Hill Reporter (On-Air) with a passion for politics and its impact on Black America. The ideal candidate will file daily reports, breaking news and have the ability to be on-camera. The position is based in Washington, DC.
- Identify, pitch and write daily political stories each day that cover the Black experience in America.
- Cultivate relationships with key political figures and build valuable sources for original reporting.
- Stay up to date on political trends on Capitol Hill, emerging leaders, key campaign trails, and the policies and legislation impacting Black communities.
- Research, investigate, interview, write, produce and report daily news packages and special politics series on tape and/or live from the field, or written stories.
- Coordinate with Managing Editor, Politics and DC team to provide the most robust political coverage for all platforms and affiliates.
- Strive to make TheGrio the singular destination for political breaking news about Black America.
- Write, fact check and proofread content for accuracy prior to publication.
- Research and craft stories in a way that resonates with our audiences.
- Coordinate the licensing and creation of photography, graphics and videos.
- Diligently maintain schedules and workflows.
- Extensive knowledge and awareness for the culture, history and current affairs of Black Americans and the entire diaspora.
- Live on-air reporting experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, be proactive and take initiative.
- Experience and comfort with filing video segments, as well as commentary about original reporting and political stories of the day.
- Ability to cover stories and identify how policies, laws, and elected officials impact Black communities.
- Ability to work independently, be proactive, and take initiative.
- An established track record of breaking political stories, enterprise.
- Established relationships with key political figures.
- 3 years experience in daily news writing for newspaper or digital media with a focus on politics.
- Ability to write about complex topics clearly.
- Excellent writer with strong spelling and grammatical skills.
- Solid news judgment and grasp of journalism best practices.
- Robust work ethic and ability to collaborate well with others under strict deadlines.
- Maintain ethical journalism standards.
- A Bachelor's degree is required.
We are the #1 Black-owned, digital video-centric news platform devoted to providing Black America with compelling stories and perspectives.
Established in 2009, TheGrio is a trusted voice in the Black community. In 2021, we're continuing to reshape media narratives, uplift Black voices, and report from the front lines of our communities.