Your Public Radio Corporation (WYPR)
2216 N Charles St
Baltimore, Maryland (United States)
Digital News Editor/Producer
Online | New Media,Radio
Do you have experience helping radio journalists also write compelling web copy? Do you read news stories online, knowing you have the writing skills to make them better? Do you like to cover a myriad of impactful local stories and turn them into multi-platform pieces?
If you answered in the affirmative, you have what it takes to join our small but dynamic and growing news team!
WYPR has consistently been ranked Baltimore’s #1 news/talk station. We have a plethora of rich stories to cover in this diverse city. Because of the need to often make sense of national stories in a local context, we are looking for a digital editor/reporter to develop a strategy for producing and amplifying these stories.
This position based at WYPR in Baltimore, reports to the executive director of news.
S/he/They will work with local beat reporters and collaborate with station talent and producers to sharpen multi-platform storytelling and develop a forward-looking approach to digital news. We are looking for someone with a vision for how digital news can best serve our audience and raise WYPR’S profile.
- At least 3 years of journalism experience
- Strong news judgement
- A proven track record of editing original, enterprise work
- Knowledge of news copy editing and AP style
- Excellent communication, and organizational skills
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure
- Edit digital news scripts and audio
- Develop a social media strategy to boost the reach of stories
- Create engaging social media content to promote news stories and series
- Collaborate with reporters to sharpen digital writing skills and lead training sessions on things like headline writing
- Ensure that all content complies with NPR's editorial standards
- A collaborative spirit, excellent communication, and organizational skills
- A discerning eye for copy editing and knowledge of AP style
- A demonstrated ability to identify and edit stories that reflect the full experience of diverse communities
- Ability to create multiplatform projects including photography, infographics, data visualizations.
- Produce and edit podcast content
- Familiarity with the public media system
- Familiarity with building a topic page
- A collaborative spirit
- Ability to include audience and community engagement into the fabric of the story process
- Video editing skills
To be considered please include a cover letter and links to 2-3 examples of digital projects/pieces you have created or edited. (Be sure to explain your role in the process.)
*Open until filled.