The Daily Beast
555 West 18th Street
New York, New York (United States)
Senior Opinion Editor
New York, New York
Online | New Media
The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinions from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop culture, technology, media, and more. Fiercely independent, irreverent, and intelligent, The Daily Beast reaches more than a million readers per day.
The Senior Opinion Editor is responsible for assigning and editing op-eds, reported opinion columns, essays, and analytical stories for The Daily Beast on a wide range of topics, from politics to culture. They will oversee an existing roster of regular contributors and will also recruit new contributors for recurring and one-off columns—with an eye towards writers with expertise or experience in a specific area, provocative ideas, and unique voice.
- Evaluate, sharpen, and green-light pitches, and edit and headline the resulting columns and essays.
- Conceive of and commission columns and essays from participants in current news events and issues or with expertise in the topic.
- Work closely with Beast section editors to develop ideas and find authors for opinion pieces.
- Develop a roster of go-to voices—from up-and-comers to household names—on an array of subjects.
- Execute on columns in a range of cadences, from right off breaking news to long-term projects.
- Work closely with the social/audience team on promotion plans for opinion pieces.
- Adhere to the ethical code, policies and procedures of The Daily Beast.
- 5+ years experience in writing, assigning or editing opinion articles and essays.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines and responding to breaking news as it occurs in a 24-hour cycle.
- Interest and fluency in a wide variety of politics, news and culture topics.
- Strong research, writing, reporting, and editing skills.
- Ability to guide non-journalists in crafting opinion pieces and essays.
- Ability to make media appearances and speak and debate knowledgeably about issues of the day.
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision.
- Ideally based in New York City or Washington, D.C.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please apply here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/thedailybeast31/jobs/5535216002