We’re Looking for a Staff Reporter
We are currently approved to hire this position in the following states: AK, CA, CO, DE, GA, ID, IL, IN, MA, MI, MO, MT, NH, NY, TX, WA, VA.
Built In’s editorial team reaches millions of tech professionals by reporting on the news in the markets and communities we serve. Personalized newsletters are a cornerstone of our content strategy, and we rely on a team of feature reporters to provide members of our core audience — software developers, data scientists, sales professionals and more — with tailored coverage that helps them become better at their jobs. If you love geeking out about what makes successful teams tick, we’d love to talk to you about joining our team!
We’re looking for a new reporter to take over our coverage of data science and analytics. Our past coverage on this beat has encompassed topics ranging from how machine learning is organizing the Library of Congress collection, to emotional AI, alternative data and misleading visualizations making the rounds on social media. Your job will be to develop a knowledgeable source network and write features that make our newsletter a must-read for any data professional.
You’ll join an ambitious editorial team with reporting and editing experience from publications like the Atlantic, Pacific Standard, Wired, Vox Media and Wirecutter. This team, which is primarily responsible for building and retaining our audience of tech professionals, reports to the VP of Growth and it is independent of our marketing-led branded content team.
Research shows that women and members of underrepresented groups tend to apply to roles only when they check every box on a job description. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of qualifications and if this role is aligned with your career trajectory. How You’ll Contribute
- Pitch, report and write enterprise feature stories, and contribute to our growing library of explainers about essential data topics.
- Follow debates and emerging trends in the field of data and AI, and use the insights you gain to develop coverage that will keep our expert audience engaged.
- Collaborate with other reporters on the features team in pitch meetings and monthly story feedback sessions.
- Develop an extensive network of subject matter experts, and work with the marketing team to distribute your published stories.
What You Need
Impress Us Even More
- Experience reporting multi-source feature stories on complicated topics, between 1,500-3,000 words in length.
- An interest in startups and emerging technologies, and in learning more about how data and AI will shape our future.
- A knack for breaking down complex, nuanced concepts and making them approachable through strategic use of examples, hypotheticals and other storytelling devices.
- An eye for detail and a collaborative mindset, and an ability to build rapport with sources quickly.
What We Value
- Arrive with a passing familiarity with data science fundamentals, as well as tools of the trade, like Tableau, Tensorflow, Python, R and SQL.
- Come prepared with a vision for how our coverage can evolve to make Built In an essential weekly destination for any data professional.
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Inclusive, Always. We’re committed to a culture where all people are respected, have a say and can be their whole selves. We will uplift and advocate for one another. Always.
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead With Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it and get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Be Inclusive, Always
Research shows that women and members of underrepresented groups tend to apply to roles only when they check every box on a job description. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of qualifications and if this role is aligned with your career trajectory.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Built In is guided by principles of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). We are committed to this work over the long-term, but here’s some of what’s in place today:
- We have five thriving ERG groups: Built In For The People, BuiltOut, United We Parent, Women United in Tech and Built In Tribe.
- We have a dedicated Director, HR + Inclusion who oversees our DEI roadmap, which provides our annual metrics, goals and initiatives.
- We are proud to be led by a woman CEO and founder, and that more than half of our managers and employees identify as women.