The Daily Memphian
254 Court Ave., Suite 400
MEMPHIS, Tennessee (United States)
Memphis, Outside The US (No State)
Newspapers,Online | New Media
Called "One of the best local news sites in the country" by Politico, The Daily Memphian seeks a driven, muckraking data reporter to join our team. Working primarily on our investigative desk, you will use data to tell stories that hold powerful people and entities accountable.
As a data reporter, you will:
- Plan and execute quantitative analyses that support investigative stories
- Help to visualize data-based reporting
- Call people, interview them — report from your desk and on the ground
- Pitch your own data-focused reporting and assist other reporters in thinking about how data could enhance their reporting, which data sets might be available to bolster their stories, and then help to acquire, clean, bulletproof and analyze datasets
- Check data work by other journalists in the newsroom
- Gather data via public records requests and scraping websites, and then clean it, analyze it and prepare it for publication
- Mentor best practices and help to establish newsroom data policies
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Read more about The Daily Memphian here:
- “One of the best local news sites in the country.” – Politico
- “In Memphis, a lab experiment for local news.” – The Atlantic
- “Ghost papers and news deserts: Will America ever get its local news back?” – The Washington Post
- “The Daily Memphian’s model demands attention.” – NiemanLab at Harvard
- “Digital startups with strong financial backing are hitting key targets” – The Poynter Institute
- “Reviving Local Media: The innovations helping publishers thrive in the age of digital” – Forbes
- “Startups are pushing back against the rise of ‘news deserts’ and the pitfalls facing local journalism” – CNN: Reliable Sources Podcast
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience working on data projects. Journalists preferred, but academics and researchers are encouraged to apply
- Ability to work with a team. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, solid editorial judgment and ability to write clean copy quickly
- Strong understanding of database management tools (SQL Server or PostgreSQL), statistics software (R), spreadsheets, etc.
Bachelor’s degree — in journalism or a quantitative field — strongly preferred.
This position is full-time with benefits and based in Memphis, Tenn.
There are undoubtedly skills and professional backgrounds we’ve not considered, so please let us know if you have other skills that might be applicable for this job. If in doubt, please apply.
We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. When in doubt, apply. There’s a place on the application for you to tell us more.