Syracuse, New York
Online | New Media,Publishing
Advance Media New York is looking for a sports reporter to join our team covering the Syracuse University football team. We're looking for someone who can break news, develop sources and isn't afraid to ask the tough questions. This opportunity includes gameday coverage, recruiting updates, post-game analysis and enterprise reporting.
Our ideal candidate will have demonstrated an ability to:
- Build sources. How will you find exclusive information?
- Write and report with distinction. Can you show us something you've done that stands out?
- Work hard. Do you have the motor for a demanding, fast-paced job?
- Build and engage an audience on social media.
- Create audio, video and photo content.
Every candidate should have a track record of reporting and writing interesting stories that promote social engagement. The ideal candidate sees creative story ideas; is comfortable creating audio and visuals; and engages with our readers.
The reporter is critical to our organizational success and is charged with covering news for one of the area's largest news websites. This is a fast-paced beat in a dynamic, engaged community.
The right candidate understands the importance of breaking news quickly and accurately, is versatile, and can add depth and a human perspective to news stories. Candidates should also be able to balance day-to-day news coverage with longer-term enterprise projects.
We are paving the way for the future of digital news, yet we remain grounded in the ethics of solid journalism.
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
Advance Media New York is a digitally focused news and information company serving Upstate New York. Advance Media New York publishes and operates an extensive portfolio of digital and print products featuring comprehensive in-depth content from Central New York's largest news organization. Advance Media New York's flagship brands are syracuse.com, the leading website in Central New York; The Post-Standard newspaper, which has served the Syracuse community since 1829; and NYup.com, the premier site for and about Upstate New York.
Advance Media New York is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
- Degree in journalism, communications or related field
- Minimum 1-3 years journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Demonstrated reporting, writing and organizational skills
- Understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Experience with search engine optimization practices preferred
- Experience using social media to source and promote content preferred
- Understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms
- Understanding imperatives of multiple platforms – print, mobile, Internet, etc.
- Understanding of social media and digital interaction
- Ability to work remotely