Morning Edition Host
Job ID: 67602
Job Views: 561
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Job Category: Radio
Employment Type: Full time
90.5 WESA is looking for the next Host of Morning Edition. This is a critical role for WESA as the Morning Edition Host is vital to keeping the communities of western Pennsylvania informed of the day’s events. The Host will write, edit and deliver local newscasts, produce two-way interviews with WESA reporters and collaborate with editors and reporters.
This is a critical role for WESA and reviews of candidate materials will begin immediately. If you are interested in this role, please submit your materials as soon as possible. We would like the successful candidate to start in the beginning of October.
The ideal candidate will:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Host live and prerecorded breaks during the morning show, combining best practices in promotion and other elements, to create a compelling listener experience.
- Provide updates and context to daily news and deliver it to listeners through newscasts, interviews, reported stories and digital and social posts.
- Prepare and deliver news, gathering and rewriting material to fit in time slots.
- Collaborate with editors and reporters to report local news throughout the morning show.
- Write and edit on-air copy, serving as the final set of eyes and ears to ensure content meets standards for accuracy, context, fairness and style guidelines.
- Serve as an editor who collaborates with other newsroom leaders to provide thoughtful and comprehensive editing of audio and text versions of spot and feature stories.
- Advance the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals of the organization.
- Use social media to break news, engage audiences and expand one’s source base.
- Create trustworthy relationships with contacts and sources.
- Make public appearances as opportunity arises to enhance WESA’s brand.
- Participate in on-air and online fundraising.
- Possess a conversational and confident on-air style.
- Strong audio editing skills with the ability to quickly turn around tape for broadcast.
- Knowledge of public radio style and familiarity with NPR broadcast clocks.
- Network-quality news writing, reporting, digital recording and production skills.
- Ability to hit time posts, effectively forward promote content and work with direction and coaching.
- Strong on-air reporting, writing and technical skills.
- Experience operating a variety of broadcast equipment and running an audio board during on-air shift.
- Ability to work on deadline in a live program environment that may require invention and improvisation under stress without prior preparation, maintaining accuracy, objectivity, and composure.
- Self-motivated team player with a track record of producing daily news stories and features of interest to local audiences.
- Sound and ethical judgment, with a commitment to objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Knowledge of Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania is helpful.
- Knowledge of FCC guidelines and requirements.
Who Are We?
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism-related field OR equivalent experience / training.
- 2-3 years of experience as on-air host of a news magazine.
- 2-3 years of broadcast journalism experience.
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends, with some long days required at times.
- Honesty and integrity in all dealings.
- Enthusiasm for the missions of PCBC and its stations.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting is a team full of passionate and fun people dedicated to our crafts as well as our communities. Our organization plays a critical role in building connections across southwestern Pennsylvania and
strengthening our communities – and WESA’s journalism and a relentless focus on the issues that matter are just two of the ways in which we work to inform and engage our communities.
We operate two local public radio stations and a local newsroom that serves the community across radio, digital and event platforms. 90.5 WESA is Pittsburgh’s NPR News Station and WESA News is an award winning, dynamic and ambitious newsroom serving southwestern Pennsylvania over-the-air, online and through our daily newsletter, Inbox Edition. 91.3 WYEP is one of the most highly regarded non-commercial Triple-A music stations in the country and has been a cultural institution in Pittsburgh for almost 50 years. With a combined weekly listenership of more than 153,000 people and more than 60,000 social media followers, this is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced reporter to help PCBC continue to grow. What’s it like working at PCBC?
The range for compensation is $53,000 - $69,000. As a full-time exempt employee, you get access to PCBC’s benefits package, including our retirement plan (with a match of up to 6%!), medical, dental and vision, three weeks of vacation, sick time, 10 company holidays and 8 weeks of paid new parent leave. We also offer paid parking, which is helpful when we can all get back into the office. PCBC invests in our professional growth and encourages continuing education and participation in conferences and seminars.
We place a high priority on employee safety and well-being; given the current COVID-19 pandemic, some employees continue to work primarily at the Community Broadcast Center — our headquarters in the heart of Pittsburgh’s historic South Side — and others have maintained a hybrid approach with much of the work being done remotely.
PCBC is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Want to know more?
We believe a strong organization includes employees from a range of backgrounds, with different skills, experience, and passions. If you do not meet every position qualification but have some of these skills and feel you could be the right candidate for the job, we would like to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself. Visit our careers page
to get more details and to apply.
Powered by Journalismnext