Executive Producer NPR Morning Edition
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Millions of listeners depend on Morning Edition and Up First to jump start their day with the sharpest, smartest distillation of essential news, unmissable conversations and unforgettable stories. NPR is looking for an ambitious Executive Producer to lead these two marquee shows: Someone who prides themselves on their journalistic acuity, collaborative and inclusive team leadership, and an indefatigable appetite for storytelling.
As head of NPR’s flagship morning show and its biggest podcast, you will lead teams for whom the exploration of ideas and challenging injustice matters. Each daily broadcast and podcast is a unique curation of stories and reports from NPR reporters and correspondents based throughout the United States and the world. The hosts interview newsmakers and contribute their own deep reporting. You will inspire a talented team of journalists creating unique and unforgettable stories that will reach growing audiences on every platform.
• Establish and execute editorial vision that will grow diverse, cross-platform audiences for Morning Edition and Up First.
• Coach and provide guidance on content and format. Inspire staff to produce consistently compelling, engaging and creative programming across platforms.
• Foster and grow a diverse team, prioritizing inclusivity and the representation of multiple perspectives.
• Ensure that all material aired meets NPR standards and practices, including standards of fairness, completeness, independence and impartiality.
• Oversee staff schedules, performance management, diversity goals, and budget.
• Supervise at least 10 direct reports, including preparing their regular performance reviews, and making effective recommendations regarding any hiring, promotion, and discipline for these positions.
EDUCATION: Minimum Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience.
REQUIRED LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Minimum of 10 years’ national journalism experience, in roles of increasing responsibility, including 5 years’ experience as a senior manager.
• Demonstrable news judgement – specifically, the ability to identify significant stories quickly, gather stakeholders, define strands of coverage across successive news cycles, and help lead an evolving process.
• Proven ability to focus collaborative efforts on the achievement of agreed outcomes within finite timeframes and budgets.
• Well-developed interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively as part of a diverse team in a high stress environment.
• Flexibility, creativity and eagerness to innovate and embrace change.
• Resilience + Strategic Agility
• Quality Decision Making
• Managing Complexity
• Transformational Leadership Behaviors
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Powered by Journalismnext