New Jersey Reporters
Job ID: 61971
Job Views: 188
Location: Trenton, New Jersey, United States
Job Category: Online | New Media
Employment Type: Full time
States Newsroom is seeking three talented reporters to cover New Jersey state government and the issues that affect residents’ daily lives.
The reporters will work on fast-paced deadlines to produce daily and enterprise journalism on topics determined in consultation with Editor-in-Chief Terrence McDonald, which could range from energy to housing to elections. Each reporter will also provide content for the outlet’s dynamic briefs section and distribute site content on social media and other sources.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Produce regular, high-quality reporting on New Jersey’s most critical issues
- Contribute regularly to outlet’s briefs section
- Generate story ideas with the editor
- Pursue story leads, both self-generated and as assigned, with self-direction and solid news judgment
- Approach assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with the editor and colleagues
- Assist other reporters with research and pertinent knowledge when/if available
- Establish and expand digital media presence representing the outlet and use personal social media to amplify the site’s content, presence and voice
- Take photos and video to illustrate and amplify stories
States Newsroom offers very competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including premium-free comprehensive health coverage for all employees and dependents.
At States Newsroom, we believe we strengthen our work and improve our insights when we incorporate the perspectives of people who come from different backgrounds and have had different experiences. We are committed to diversity and prioritize equity in all recruiting and hiring.
To apply, please send a cover letter with resume and writing clips or links to New Jersey Editor-in-Chief Terrence McDonald via firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ideal candidates are self-starters with sound news judgment and the ability to manage ongoing short- and long-term projects with strong attention to detail and accuracy. Previous news reporting and/or editing experience is required and can include student journalism. Knowledge of New Jersey’s political landscape and leaders and previous digital, photography and/or videography experience are preferred.
Powered by Journalismnext