Job ID: 61412
Job Views: 330
Location: Remote, , United States
Job Category: Wire Services,Online | New Media
Employment Type: Full time
Stacker, a data journalism company, is hiring for full-time data reporters and editors to help drive content creation. We are looking for creative storytellers to help produce data-driven pieces, from ideation and sourcing to data analysis and visualization.
We are on a mission to distribute engaging data journalism to the world’s news organizations. Founded in 2017, Stacker combines data analysis with editorial context, drawing on authoritative sources and subject matter experts to drive storytelling. Stacker stories are read by millions of readers each month on Stacker.com, as well as across hundreds of publishing partner sites, including MSN, Newsweek, Hearst Newspapers, and more.
Data journalists will produce stories for our site, stacker.com, and/or Stacker Studio, our new content marketing business, focused on developing authoritative, newsworthy stories for brands. You will own the full story development process from brainstorming to execution, collaborating with our editorial and account management teams to craft campaigns that resonate with readers.
Our research team creates the foundation for all Stacker stories, responsible for brainstorming and producing the storytelling approach for each piece we publish. As a member of this team, you will be responsible for:
- Sourcing datasets to power compelling stories; reaching out to prospective data partners to build out a library of available sources
- Pitching creative, original headlines for content marketing campaigns
- Performing the primary analysis that forms the backbone of each story; taking bulky datasets, mining interesting insights, and transforming them into compelling stories
- Producing rankings and analysis, visualizations, and infographics.
- Peer-reviewing story methodologies from across the team and providing constructive criticism to sharpen our approach to each piece
What we look for in a candidate:
- 2-3 years of experience working with data to tell stories—either in a newsroom, creative agency capacity, or other space that can translate into success in the content space
- Advanced data skills, in one or more of the following buckets
- ideation & research: experience hunting down unique data from public/private sources for a wide range of topics
- analysis: track record of interrogating data using advanced Excel/Google Sheets (vlookup, index/match, nested IF statements, Pivot tables), Python/pandas, R, or MySQL
- Creativity that allows you take any topic and develop original story ideas
- Innate curiosity that gives you a broad range of knowledge; a knack for logical reasoning that allows you to dive into topics you’re just becoming familiar with
- A track record of innovation and bias to action: you step into roles and improve processes or implement new ideas effectively
- Fully Remote Team
- Full Health & Dental Coverage
- Unlimited PTO
- 401k Matching
- Weekly Meal Expense
- Yearly Education Stipend
- Awesome team culture!
To apply, please submit an application to Workable with the following:
- Cover letter detailing why you’re interested in this role and relevant experience that makes you a strong candidate
- A link to published works
- Supplementary Google Doc with links to 2-4 published works or notable projects you’ve worked on (data analysis, research papers, side hustles)
- For each example, please provide 1-3 sentences describing the approach you took and any relevant tools or skills employed.
Powered by Journalismnext