Job ID: 61073
Job Views: 638
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Job Category: Online | New Media
Employment Type: Full time
Sporting News is seeking a creative and driven content producer to join its growing editorial team.
At SN, Digital Content Producers are the eyes and ears of our news-gathering operation. As part of this team, you will be responsible for identifying and writing compelling stories across a variety of sports topics that engage communities of fans on different digital platforms.
The successful candidate has sharp news judgment skills, deep sports knowledge, and an innate understanding of how sports interact with internet culture. You are plugged into current events, with a curiosity about what is happening both within and outside the world of sports. And you have an enthusiasm for the fun, weird and inspiring moments that drive conversation around a game — plus the instinct to recognize them before anyone else.
Daily duties could range from writing a quick breaking news burst to an SEO article about how to watch a game or an explainer that advances a story in real time. You can tackle each with an expert’s authority and voice, creating content that informs, entertains, or otherwise adds value to the conversation. You are also comfortable writing in formats that transcend traditional newspaper-style articles, including live blogs and lists, and incorporating storytelling enhancers such as embedded video and social media posts, bullet points, tables, graphics and data.
Applicants must have strong knowledge of and passion for multiple sports within SN North America's core coverage areas: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, college football/basketball, NASCAR and soccer. Interest in sports betting/fantasy, esports, boxing, MMA, golf and/or tennis is also a plus. The more you know, the better!
HERE’S A BREAKDOWN OF WHAT YOU’LL (PRIMARILY) DO
- Curate and write essential stories that give SN a distinctive voice in the sports media space
- Contribute article ideas at daily editorial meetings and in Slack topic channels
- Write SEO content that fits with SN’s audience strategy and partnerships
- Line edit written content for accuracy, focus and style/grammar
- Collaborate with Deputy Editor on tentpole planning and budgeting
- Site and app management: execute link strategy, update homepage, write push notifications, etc.
- Support SN’s social media team by suggesting creative copy/ideas for article sharing
- Contribute ideas for original multimedia content, both on and off platform
DO YOU HAVE THESE ESSENTIALS?
- 1-3 years of digital sports media experience, preferably in a newsroom setting
- Mastery of writing clean, concise copy that explains to readers what is happening and why
- Adept at writing engaging headlines that stand out — and how to make a boring one better
- Comfortability working under pressure in a fast-paced news environment
- Sharp and creative news judgment instincts
- Understanding of SEO tools and best practices, and how to farm Google Trends for content ideas
- An eye for smart data, graphics and other visual ideas to enhance storytelling
- Ability to use all major social media platforms and know what content works best with each
- A strong, versatile understanding of most major U.S. professional and collegiate sports, and a willingness to learn others outside your comfort zone
- Ability to work nights and weekends, as required
- Ability to learn new roles and adapt in a constantly evolving industry
NOT ESSENTIAL BUT GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
Find out more about Sporting News and apply for the job at our LinkedIn page.
- College degree in journalism or a related communications field
- Social media management or content marketing experience
- Podcasting or video production experience
- Understanding of how to use audience data and tools to shape content strategy
Powered by Journalismnext