Job ID: 54839
Job Views: 376
Location: Denver Metro, Colorado, United States
Job Category: Radio
Employment Type: Full time
Colorado Public Radio is seeking an experienced journalist with a management background to join its expanding newsroom as a Morning Editor. The Morning Editor kickstarts the newsroom in the morning, identifying, assigning and implementing daily coverage for Colorado Public Radio News; assigns a team of news magazine hosts and reporters to develop engaging, timely and relevant daily content; and works with newsroom leadership to set and execute overall coverage priorities for CPR's audience.Essential responsibilities:
View the full job description.
- Identify, assign and edit daily content including digital stories, newscast material, quick turn features and two-ways.
- Work with reporters and hosts to develop engaging and relevant daily content for CPR’s audience through two-ways and news spots while coordinating resources closely with the news director and the editorial team.
- Set and manage deadlines for this content (immediate digital stories, quick turn features, two-ways, newscasts).
- Prepare and share the daily news lineup with the newsroom in a timely manner through daybooks.
- Work with newsroom leadership to set and execute overall coverage priorities, manage the allocation of resources, provide guidance on quality and guide ethical decision-making.
- Supervise and coach news hosts by setting goals, reviewing on-air performance regularly, providing consistent feedback and identifying professional development opportunities.
CPR News delivers insightful and impartial news from around the world, across the nation, and throughout Colorado, examining its relevance to our state and connecting it to our community. Online, we pay special attention to the Colorado part of that equation.
Colorado is a great place to live and work. Denver is known for its sunshine, world-renowned art museums, thriving performing and fine arts scene, terrific restaurants and more. The nearby Rocky Mountains are an incredible playground for world-class skiing, hiking, biking, hunting and fishing. As a dynamic news state, CPR News has covered the legalization of marijuana, gay marriage, oil and gas industry, arts and cultural issues and much more. All this in a growing newsroom with mountain views.
Knowledge and competencies:
- Identification with the mission and purpose of Colorado Public Radio.
- Minimum of five years of strong journalism experience with breaking news, meeting deadlines, and management experience strongly desired.
- Impeccable news judgment and outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Must be able to thrive in an environment that requires juggling multiple tasks and deadlines and have strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively within the newsroom and across departments.
Non-standard working hours guaranteed. On call as needed and accountable for establishing backup on-call staff when unavailable.
Position is based in metro Denver. To apply
, please email us your cover letter, resume, references and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Morning Editor" in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.
Powered by Journalismnext