Public Information Officer
Job ID: 54643
Job Views: 779
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Job Category: Newspapers,Online/New Media,Public Relations/Marketing,Media Business Positions,Corporate Publications/Newsletters
Public Information Officer Midwest Regional Office, Chicago or South Central Regional Office, Dallas
Lambda Legal is seeking a talented and creative Public Information Officer to join the communications team and drive media coverage of critical LGBT issues in the news. The Public Information Officer will coordinate news media activities for the organization and reports to the Media Relations Director. The goals of media and communications work at Lambda Legal is to educate the public on matters of equality as well as to position the organization as a national leader of legal, education and public policy advocacy on behalf of equality for LGBT people and people with HIV.
Lambda Legal is a national, nonprofit organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (“LGBT”) people and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Founded in 1973 and headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Washington DC.
The Communications Department leads the media, digital communications and marketing efforts of the organization and coordinates with the Legal Department in carrying out our public affairs work. We work to influence the national debate, create public support for Lambda Legal’s impact litigation and for laws that lead to equality for LGBT people and people living with HIV, and increase support for the organization by communicating Lambda Legal’s ideas and achievements to a broad range of audiences.Responsibilities
The Public Information Officer is responsible for extensive contact with journalists, frequent interaction with Lambda Legal attorneys in the organization’s offices around the country. A central focus of this work is to establish Lambda Legal as a go-to source for legal information and vision related to the LGBT and HIV communities as well as to write and place news stories about fast-breaking developments involving Lambda Legal’s legal and educational activities.
Public Information Officers are also asked to write and place op-eds, cultivate reporter relationships, earn significant long-lead and broadcast coverage of Lambda’s work, and coordinate closely with the organization’s digital team. Public Information Officers are typically assigned a region of focus and a portfolio of work but could work on any urgent or priority issues at the organization.
The Public Information Officer must have:
- Minimum of four to six years of experience demonstrating increasing responsibility in creating effective messages for breaking news, cultivating relationships with journalists, and proactively securing media coverage;
- Strong pitching skills required, particularly with broadcast outlets;
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to translate complex legal material into concise, accurate, and compelling language for the general public including op-eds, blog posts and essays;
- Experience conducting media training for organizational spokespeople and clients;
- Knowledge of LGBT civil rights advocacy as well as demonstrated understanding of messaging and communications for a mission-driven organization;
- Experience and fluency with digital communications tools including social media platforms;
- Experience in identifying and effectively communicating with diverse audiences;
- Excellent planning and project management skills
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish, as this position will be point on our outreach to Spanish language media.
Salary is commensurate with experience in the context of a mid-size non-profit advocacy organization. Competitive employer-paid benefits package is provided including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance and employer contribution to retirement account. Generous vacation.Application
The position is open until filled; interviews will begin immediately with qualified candidates. Send resume and cover letter, writing sample, and any samples of relevant prior work, by e-mail only to: 2018-PIO-MRO@lambdalegal.org No calls please.
Due to the high volume of applications, Lambda Legal cannot return phone calls about the position and, regrettably, cannot notify applicants of the status of applications unless an interview is requested.
Powered by Journalismnext