Job title: Deputy editorial director
Department Name: Editorial
Office location: New York (NY)
Reports to: Editorial director
Geographic scope: Global
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Start date: Immediate
Application deadline: February 23, 2018
FLSA Status: Exempt
The statements below reflect the general responsibilities and requirements of the identified position but may not describe all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
I. About CPJ
The Committee to Protect Journalists promotes press freedom worldwide and defends the right of journalists to report the news without fear of reprisal. CPJ ensures the free flow of news and commentary by taking action wherever journalists are attacked, imprisoned, killed, kidnapped, threatened, censored, or harassed.
II. Job Summary & Details:
CPJ requires a deputy editorial director to help the department ensure that a growing amount of editorial content meets the organization's high standards for accuracy, credibility, fairness, and timeliness. The deputy editorial director will oversee the editing of daily news and research and work closely with the editorial director to guide CPJ's long-term editorial strategy. They will manage editorial staff and deputize for the editorial director. They will collaborate with other department heads to advance CPJ's mission.
A. Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prioritize, delegate, and editor review daily news stories including alerts, statements, protest letters, campaign text, and social media posts
• Determine CPJ's daily news agenda and homepage features
• Oversee ongoing and annual research such as CPJ's lists of journalists killed and imprisoned for their work
• Direct CPJ blog and edit posts
• In consultation with editorial director, guide CPJ's long-term editorial strategy
• Identify potential trends in press freedom and suggest related pieces
• As needed, edit long-term investigative or analytical special reports
• Oversee aspects of web and print production
• Oversee relationships with external writers or editors and other vendors and contractors
• Deputize for editorial director
• Occasional evening or weekend work
• Other duties as assigned
B. Managerial Responsibilities:
• Position's managerial classification: Manager
• People-management scope (completed for positions that directly or indirectly manage or supervise others). Number of:
- Direct Reports: 2-4
- Indirect Reports: None
• Other management responsibilities (can vary based on managerial classification:
- In consultation with editorial director, draft annual departmental budget
- Track and manage departmental budget throughout year
C. Key Stakeholders (whom this position is expected to interact with regularly):
• Internally: Editors, program staff, advocacy department, emergencies department, digital team (including social media account managers), and (to a lesser extent) development department.
• Externally: CPJ's readers/viewers, including journalists and policymakers
D. Travel Requirements: No
E. Physical Demands: No
How to apply
Please submit a brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with "Deputy Editorial Director" in the subject line.
CPJ is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Due to volume, we cannot reply to individual inquiries on the status of applications. If you are selected as a candidate, CPJ will contact you directly to arrange an interview. No phone calls, please.
Powered by Journalismnext