WFLA-TV News Channel 8 in Tampa, FL is looking for a newscast producer with the skills, instinct and talent to craft superior newscasts using “new, now, next” writing & a knack for making quick adjustments for breaking news, weather or traffic. The right candidate has at least 2 years of TV news producing experience, a Bachelor's Degree in journalism or communications, and a reel that will knock our socks off. We are looking for a self-starter who can not only stack a show but can craft a newscast masterpiece each day using solid writing, sound, video and graphic elements. This person will be flexible with schedule and newscast. This person will think outside the box. This person has the instinct & drive to win. This person will work as a team player. This person will own their own newscast and want it to be the best it can possibly be - this person will go above and beyond to achieve that goal.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Write solid, active & compelling news copy
• Build strong newscasts using informed news judgment combined with showcasing techniques & meter strategy
• Strategize newscast building based on knowledge of our audience, ratings & history of the area
• Be a stickler for facts, grammar & spelling
• Know the video & write to it
• Make solid decisions & stay in control of the newscast in the booth during breaking news
• Keep up communication with anchors & production throughout newscast
• Communicate with reporters to ensure stories meet the mark for our mission & our viewers
• Be flexible on schedule & newscast
• Be a newsroom leader
• Be open for criticism; always growing
• Request graphics & work with artists on completion
• Properly time a newscast to hit meters & end on time
• Stay on top of current events & issues that impact the Tampa Bay community
• Take 3 screens into consideration when producing newscasts (TV, mobile, computer)
• Occasionally work on special projects at the direction of a manager
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
• Fluent in English. Knowledgeable on proper grammar & spelling.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Proficient with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Able to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Flexible to work any shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The News Producer must be able to sit, use newsroom software on a computer, conduct telephone conversations, use e-mail & social media for communication, write scripts, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. The regular shift for this position will be early morning to early afternoon but may change at the discretion of a manager.
Powered by Journalismnext