Job ID: 53814
Job Views: 427
Location: NEW YORK, New York, United States
Postal Code: 10005
Job Category: Other
Salary: 120000 per year
Communications Director Headquarters, NYC
Lambda Legal seeks a dynamic and seasoned Communications Director to lead the Media Team within the Communications Department. We’re looking for a creative strategist and excellent manager who will amplify Lambda Legal’s work and help tell the story of the organization’s impact in the LGBT community.
Based in New York, this position is responsible for leading a 5-person team and will oversee all aspects of the organization’s media work. The Communications Director reports to the Chief Communications Officer and works in tandem with the Communications Department’s digital and marketing teams as well as the Legal and Development Departments to develop a strategic vision for how Lambda communicates.
Lambda Legal is a national, nonprofit organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and people living with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Founded in 1973 and headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC, Atlanta and Dallas. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Communications Director will develop, implement, and manage media strategies that locate Lambda Legal’s work in the center of the national conversation about LGBT equality. Strong candidates should possess: Strategic Communications Expertise
- An acute understanding of how media outreach can be used to elevate the work of a national organization
- A track record of setting and implementing a robust media plan for a national organization
- Sophisticated writing, editing, messaging and framing skills, and experience developing and honing a strong and distinct voice for an organization
- A keen understanding of the relationship between news media and social media and an ability to integrate social media dimensions into earned media strategies
- Relationships with top-tier journalists and a history of achieving high-impact press placements
- Ability to delegate effectively, manage priorities, and help the team organize a large volume of work
- Ability to foster a culture of excellence and collaboration
- Experience providing ongoing coaching and mentorship of team members, helping them grow their skills and develop professionally
- Experience setting objectives and priorities across the team
- Ability to develop cooperative relationships with the full staff, allies and partner organizations
Salary is commensurate with experience within the guidelines of Lambda Legal’s scale. The position comes with excellent benefits including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance, as well as generous vacation and employer contribution to retirement account.Application
The position is open until filled. Please send a resume and cover letter to
‘email@example.com’, with “Communications Director” in the subject line of your email.
No calls please. Due to the high volume of applications, Lambda Legal cannot return phone calls about the position and, regrettably, cannot notify applicants of the status of applications unless an interview is requested. Lambda Legal is committed to further building and maintaining a staff that reflects the full range of LGBT, HIV-affected and allied communities, and is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, transgender and gender-nonconforming people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, and people living with disabilities, including HIV, are encouraged to apply.
Ideal candidates will have 7+ years of experience, including experience in a senior management role directing a national strategic communications program. Experience with a legal organization and social justice litigation a plus. Applicants must have a commitment to the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender and people living with HIV.
Powered by Journalismnext