The Science Editor assists in the planning, editing, reporting and production of environment & science news reporting, features and podcasts for the science and environment team.
The Science Editor assists the Senior Science Editor in assigning and shaping stories, editing scripts, overseeing and handling production, strategizing social media, and helping to supervise the Science News staff, freelance reporters and interns.
• Assist in overseeing radio and interactive news coverage, features and podcasts reported and produced by the Science News staff.
• Edit, shape and produce radio and online features, daily news coverage and podcasts from Science News and Future of You staff, freelance reporters, contributors and interns.
• Participate in podcast initiative and other initiatives as assigned by Senior Editor.
• Advise the Science Day Editor on potential stories throughout the day.
• Alternate with other Science Editors as daily assignment editor for Science News. In the Science Day Editor role, attend daily news standup, assign Science Reporters and edit Science and News stories. Work with Senior Science Editor and other KQED News Editors to advise KQED News & The California Report on Science coverage and breaking stories throughout the day.
• Research and maintain ongoing story list and identify themes and hot topics for coverage.
• Prepare social media strategies for assigned Science content and work with Social Media Coordinator to implement them. Oversee social media workflow with reporters and other editors.
• As editor, work with reporters to encourage web-centric story telling for Future of You and KQED Science.
• Work with graphics producer, as needed, to edit graphics for KQED Science and Future of You website.
• Write occasional posts for Future of You.
• Maintain and send out email of upcoming features; maintain and send out weekly update email; maintain wiki feature list.
• Attend weekly Science meeting on Wednesday, when available.
• Attend weekly Science News editorial meetings.
• Attend daily news standup, when serving as Science Day Editor.
• Other meetings as assigned.
Other KQED tasks:
• Occasionally edit reports of news content produced by other KQED editorial staff.
• Assist in choosing the Science intern to be split between Science News and Deep Look.
• Moderate, or represent the station at community events or conferences, when available.
• Other tasks as assigned.
• Headline writing experience
• Creative thinker
• Emotionally skilled communicator
• Experienced teamplayer
1. News gathering, editing and/or production experience.
2. Excellent writing, editing and radio story organizational skills.
3. Demonstrated knowledge of sound editing and radio digital production techniques.
4. Strong news judgment.
5. Demonstrated editorial coverage planning skills.
6. Excellent knowledge of California environmental, science and health issues.
7. Ability to communicate clearly and collaborate with a variety of individuals.
8. Thorough knowledge of journalistic principles, ethics and standards.
9. Familiarity with Internet research and presentation practices.
10. Ability to work under strict deadline conditions.
To apply, please visit:
Powered by Journalismnext